Ram Island Farm was born of the efforts of a Boston businessman who developed a deep and long-standing love for the Cape Elizabeth and Scarborough area during the early 1900’s. Phineas W. Sprague (1860 – 1943) was not only an astute businessman, but was also an avid outdoorsman. He belonged to several sportsmen’s clubs including the Great Pond Gun Club, the Santee Club and the Richmond’s Island Association. P.W. began to assemble the Cape Elizabeth property in 1906. He was very concerned about the conservation of the property, while still being available to the family for their enjoyment.
The history of Ram Island Farm includes development of agricultural in the 1920's and 1930's with the building of barns and conducting farming operations at Scarborough, Ram Island Farm and Richmond Island. The Ram Island Farm Dairy and Horse Barn operations lasted into the early 60's and early 70's respectively. The last large-scale crop farming was in the 1960’s when local farmer Wainwright leased fields at Spurwink Farm and Richmond Island where he grew potatoes, peas, lettuce and other crops. During the one hundred year plus tenure the overall landscape of the Farm has changed significantly as the historically open farm fields and pastures have to a large degree grown back into forest land.
Today, the Farm includes 2100 acres, 16 year-round family residences, 6 seasonal residences, hay fields, several orchards and 3 historic cemeteries. The Farm operates under a 1999 town-approved subdivision land use plan. In addition to the residences, there are a number of designated “family” areas including tennis court and formal garden. Although the Farm was created and is held for the use by the family members, many family-sponsored activities occur (some on an annual basis) including “Fly In”, carriage drive, Audubon bird walk, trail riding and camping (at Richmond Island).